Monday, July 17, 2017

Social Media Policy for My Classroom

In beginning to cultivate a Social Media Policy for my classroom, I searched to see whether my school or district had a policy outlining social media use. I couldn’t find a Social Media Policy, but did find an Acceptable Use Policy which relates to “the Internet and related technology and equipment.” After not finding a specific Social Media Policy for my district or school I decided to develop one for my classroom. Here you will see what I developed:



Before using this as a policy for my classroom I would begin by getting together with at least the Freshmen Academy math teachers that I teach with and attempt to get our policies to be succinct. We collaborate quite a bit within the Freshmen Academy at the high school I teach at and use the same materials to teach and assess. Therefore, we would need to be on the same page with the policy. After we believe we have a policy that we would like to move forward with I would send the policy we came up with to our direct supervisor, our assistant principal, to get his opinions and approval. After this had been outlined I would send home a copy to my students’ parents to get signed so that they know our plan for social media use for the year and my policies in responsible use. I would then also discuss the plans and policy with my students to be able to address their thoughts and concerns.

References:
Anderson, S. (2012, May 7). How to Create Social Media Guidelines for Your School. Retrieved July 17, 2017, from https://www.edutopia.org/how-to-create-social-media-guidelines-school
Dunn, J. (2014, September 21). An editable social media policy for schools that works. Retrieved July 17, 2017, from http://dailygenius.com/editable-social-media-policy-for-schools/
Laws, Policies for Using Social Media in the Classroom. (n.d.). Retrieved July 17, 2017, from http://www.teachhub.com/laws-policies-using-social-media-classroom
socialmediaguidelines / Student Guidelines. (n.d.). Retrieved July 17, 2017, from http://socialmediaguidelines.pbworks.com/w/page/17050885/Student%20Guidelines


No comments:

Post a Comment