Friday, July 14, 2017

Social Media in a Math Classroom


I created a curation of resources for using social media in a math classroom. I found this assignment to be quite difficult. I believe this was because there didn’t seem to be much social media use in the classroom and not much specifically in a math classroom. I also believe that this is somewhat of a hot topic as I did also find some posts where people felt very strongly against the use of social media in the classroom. 


I really liked the ideas that I did find about social media use in a math classroom. What I found for math seemed to fall under two categories. Social media was either used for writing up explanations or thoughts or problems or for presenting a project that had been completed. For explaining thoughts on a problem I saw examples that used both blogging and Twitter. I feel that when a blogging platform is used it allows students to write out a more lengthy explanation. Since Twitter limits its posts to one hundred forty characters or less these need to be shorter explanations. I like this a lot because I can understand that students do not enjoy to read or write in math. This would allow them to do so in smaller pieces.

I am very intrigued with the idea of students presenting projects on social media. This would allow the item to be public or public at least to the members of the class. This way they are also truly presenting their products. It also would allow for students to give feedback to their peers which I feel isn't always done when students complete projects. I as the teacher could also provide feedback as comments as well.

An aspect I saw on all of these may be obvious since it is the social aspect. These platforms all allowed for students to communicate with their teachers, peers, or others outside of their classroom. This way these students could create valuable PLNs at a young age. The students and the teacher could also comment or provide feedback on students' projects presented on a social media platform continuing the social aspect. 

I felt a bit apprehensive about social media use in my classroom in the beginning because of the limited resources I found, but after finding some valuable resources I can definitely see the merit!

No comments:

Post a Comment